Definition: Learning intentions state the goal of learning.
“Learning Intentions are what we intend students to learn.” (Hattie, 2012, p. 48)
- Provide the learning destination—“Where are we going?”
- Are a summary or general restatement of the standard(s)
- Are worded in a student-friendly manner
- Make no references to specific context (textual, curricular, situational, procedural, etc.).
- Provide the “Why” of learning.
Guiding questions for Developing Learning Intentions:
- In reading through the standards, does a “Big Picture” learning outcome emerge? If so, what is it?
- Does the “Big Picture” learning outcome encompass what all of the standards in that section, chunk, or grouping are aiming for in terms of student learning?
- Would a set of more specific components or success criteria provide the needed clarity as to how to successfully reach the “Big Picture” learning outcome?
Ainsworth, L. (n.d.). Teacher Clarity: Learning Intentions And Success Criteria Workshop. www.larryainsworth.com from https://www.larryainsworth.com/workshops/teacher-clarity-learning-intentions-and-success-criteria-workshop/
Almarode, J. & Vandas, K. (2018). Clarity for learning: Five essential practices that empower students and teachers. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
Hattie, J. A. (2012). Visible learning for teachers: Maximizing impact on teachers. New York: Routledge.
Learning Goal and Success Criteria Writing Tips. (n.d.). In www.youtube.com from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPpJeJnt2mA
Learning Intentions Success Criteria. (n.d.). twbtandl.weebly.com from http://twbtandl.weebly.com/learning-intentions-success-criteria.html
Sackstein, S. (n.d.). Make Standards Visible in Mastery Communication. www.edweek.org from https://www.edweek.org/leadership/opinion-response-dos-donts-of-implementing-new-ideas-in-education/2017/03
Sackstein, S. (n.d.). Teaching Students to Understand Standards. www.mssackstein.com from https://www.mssackstein.com/post/you-re-not-getting-a-grade-in-this-class-rinse-repeat
Unpacking for Success Resources. (n.d.). www.thecorecollaborative.com from https://www.thecorecollaborative.com/unpacking
Writing Tips for Learning Goals and Success Criteria. (n.d.). Oregon.gov from https://www.oregon.gov/ode/educator-resources/assessment/Documents/writing_tips_learning_goals_success_criteria.pdf